What is Main Street?
Idabel Main Street is an aggressive approach to help our community search for effective and affordable solutions to historic preservation and economic revitalization of the central business district.
Who funds Main Street?
Idabel Main Street receives no federal or state money. All funding is provided locally by property owners, retailers, industry, financial institutions, and the City of Idabel, each making significant contributions.
Where does the money go?
Funding is used for promoting the revitalization of Idabel through developing and implementing plans for future design and restoration assistance, building inventories, retail recruitment, and historical designations to promote cultural heritage tourism. Resources are also used for salaries and office expenses.
How long does Main Street last?
The Main Street Program is an on-going program developed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation to encourage economic development within the context of historic preservation. The Program was designed as a long-term revitalization project that will serve the needs of the community into the 21st Century.
What’s on the horizon?
Our goals include but are not limited to:
- Streetscape (landscaping, ornamental lighting, etc.)
- Additional nominations to the National Register of Historic Places
- New business recruitment for a better commercial mix
- On-going façade renovations
- Image promotions to counter ‘supercenter’ syndrome
- Creation of a downtown venue for live entertainment
- Educational workshops and much more!
What is the 4-Point approach?
Idabel Main Street has established an organized approach to self-help. We employ a professional manager who plans, coordinates and facilitates our diverse group of volunteers as we concentrate our efforts in four distinct areas.
-Organization establishes consensus and cooperation by building partnerships. Diverse groups from the private and public sector must work together to maintain a successful program.
– Promotion takes many forms, but the aim is to create a positive image of downtown Idabel to rekindle community pride in the downtown and the city.
– Design takes advantage of the visual opportunities inherent in Idabel’s downtown by directing attention to all it’s physical elements.
– ER strengthens downtown’s existing economic assets while diversifying its economic base. The is accomplished by establishing a balanced commercial mix.